My 1st Alumni Project

It all happened yesterday when I accidentally met Mrs Lili.

It was the end of school and I was going to the field for English Speaking Club Reorganization Meeting. When i was about going out the door, I met Mrs. Lili, the English teacher of SMP N 12 Magelang (State Middle School 12 Magelang). She is my grandparents' neighbor, and I kinda know her well. She asked me about my year in America and bla bla bla. She asked me to be a speaker to tell her students about my experience in order to motivate them to study more.

I was like, WHOAAAAAAAAA!

I didn't reject that offer. I mean, hey!, it's a good opportunity to share my experience in America to those kids. Also, it's Ramadan and I want to do good thing #eaaaaaa

Today at 7.30 I arrived at that school. It's an "outskirt" school and the kids usually live in modest life. It's not a RSBI school like my old middle school, and I was asked to give the presentation in both English and Indonesian. I started my presentation from the 8th graders. And I was so shocked to have them with me.

THEY'RE AWESOME!

I always have this stereotype that those modest kids will be very quiet and humble. But they're different! They were so active and gave a lot of feedback. I gave the presentation in English and they didn't feel nervous to ask if they didn't get what I said. It was a big triumph with a lot of questions and laughter. It was literally a great success. There was a kid named Axel that was really active in giving feedback. I was so thrilled to answer each of his question. He's definitely going to be someone great in the future!

Next were the 9th graders. They were quiter but gave "heavier" feedback. Some asked me about my religious life in America, while some asked me how to get the scholarship. OMG, I have to say that they're really enthusiastic with my presentations. I had some postcards that I bought from Ellis Island in New York. I gave them some questions and for the ones who could answer it right would get one of the postcard. It was a big triumph again! :)

So I did presentations for 8 classes. Actually it should be just 2 hours to 2 classes only, but the other teachers asked me to do presentations to their classes too. I was out of postcards, and I kind of felt bad to my last class because I have nothing to give to them. Surprisingly, Mrs. Lili came with a pack of ten notebooks. She then gave me the notebooks to be signed and to be given to the kids who could answer my questions. She told the kids that it wasn't the price of the book, but it was the value of the book to motivate them to be better than me.

I WAS SO MOVED!

In the end, it was a really great day. Tons of things to learn, not only for them but also me. I learn a lot that there are a lot of "outskirt" schools out there. I used to grow and study in those-upper-level schools, which only smart and middle-to-rich people could attend. It really opened my eyes how education work in small schools like that. It was a huge deal for them to receive me as a speaker there, something that will not be considered as really important in my schools. Also, I have to say that you don't need to go to those RSBI schools (schools that designated by Indonesian government as international-level schools like my middle and high school) to dream big and "go international".

I have to admit that my journey as exchange student didn't end last July. I'm actually STILL an exchange student. I have the responsibility to exchange my experiences to them, to share and use it to motivate the youths. I'm overwhelmingly glad that I have the chance to open new doors of hope to them.

Dream big, kids! You have a great future waiting for you!

Your brother,

Doni Achsan

Some pictures taken by Mrs. Lili:

That's me telling them about my year as a student in Chilton High School, WI.

Yeah, that's me and my hostfamily!

The 8th graders were so enthusiastic with my presentation. And that's one of my postcard I got from Ellis Island, New York.

Me with Mrs. Lili, Mrs. Lili's friend (I forgot her name, shame on me. Hahaha) and the 9th graders

This is Axel, and I he's one of the most awesome kid there. I have to admit that I'm hoping him a great success in the future. Go reach your dream, Axel!




You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. kak doni selalu menebar kebaikan~ sukses terua kak ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. makasih lica. kamu juga ya, setelah balik dari Arizona harus banyak ngeshare juga :)

    ReplyDelete

leave your reply here

INSTAGRAM @DONIACHSAN