Exchange Year: an Artistic Discovery

Exchange Year:
An Artistic Discovery

Risqika Edni Doni Achsan - Indonesia
YES (Youth Exchange and Study) Program – AFS
Chilton, WI

 “All art is autobiographical. The pearl is the oyster's autobiography.” 
- Federico Fellini 


This is my first artwork in United States! I made a painting about an Indonesian Traditional Festival native to my island, Java. It's one of my way to introduce my beloved home country, Indonesia, to people around me. In the picture my artwork is exhibited for the Olympian Art Conference in Rahr West Museum, Manitowoc, WI. There my artwork represents my school, Chilton High. By the way, the white sweatshirt I wear is my school’s Senior Class Sweatshirt, and I designed that.

Art is my passion. Although I always take it as a hobby, still I always believe that I have to do my best in my artworks. I did drawing and painting from kindergarten, but being a high school student in Indonesia I didn’t have time anymore. When I got to United States, my host mother gave me a list of classes that I could take. Then, I read the description for Graphics and Design. Somehow, it brought back memories when I was still doing a lot of artworks. Without any hesitation, I took that class.


My art teacher here, Mrs. Jane Schmitz, is a really supportive person. She introduced me different styles of art concept that enriched my knowledge. In the other hand, I showed her and my classmates about my art style, drawing and painting using oil pastel. I had a great time being in that class! 

One day, I read an art contest poster. I used to do a lot of art contests in Indonesia, from regional level to provincial (the same as state here). Mrs. Schmitz really encouraged me to do it! She knew that it was a good idea and really worth a try. Besides, I manage cross-country in summer – and at that point the season was over and I didn’t do any sport anymore. By doing the contests at least I had something to do to spend in my spare time.  I sent my first ever art contest submission for Wisconsin School Art Board, a state level contest. I drew a picture depicting how I use technology to shape the world. It took me almost three days to finish it!

Unfortunately I didn’t win for that one. I thought that was okay. Winning state level here is really hard, and I know there are tons of great artists living in Wisconsin. The committees only announced the 1st winner, so there would never be any positions for the runners up. I always thought that I was one of those runner-ups. It made me believe that failure didn’t make somebody a loser. Instead, it gave a reason for a person to be the winner in the future. My teacher then gave some other art contest opportunities. I made a drawing for Department of Transportation Aviation Art Contest. The theme of it was “Silent Flight”. It took me almost 4 days to finish this artwork. Before I sent the artwork, I was so nervous that I will be disqualified. There was a segment in the entry form about nationality. I’m an exchange student; I’m definitely NOT an American. I was so worried about that, but yet my host families and teacher still encouraged me to send that artwork.

Later on, I got a letter from Department of Transportation. I was thinking maybe it was only a notification letter stating that they had already received my submission. I opened it and I was so surprised; I GOT THE FIRST PLACE! Out of hundreds of art works the committee chose me to represent Wisconsin in the national level! I was so happy and almost cried at that time. I never thought that an exchange student like would never win those kind of things. My artwork was forwarded to D.C., and although I didn’t make it, I’m still so grateful that I could make my parents and school proud of me. I got the certificate and a chance to fly for a discovery plane around Wisconsin for being the 1st winner. The other best thing is my artwork will be hanged in Wisconsin Capitol in Madison, WI, in June!


As the 1st winner of Aviation Art Contest I got the chance to ride an airplane, literally. I became a co-pilot (of course under supervision by expert), helping the main pilot to fly the airplane. It was kind of scary in the beginning, but later on it was enjoyable! I would never have this great experience if I didn't submit my artwork!

My teacher told me that National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF) Wisconsin Chapter would hold an art competition. I was interested and eventually submitted my artwork to them. Several weeks later the notification letter arrived at my house. I opened it and I was so surprised that I got the 1st place again! In the letter there were a certificate, a placement ribbon, and a check. I was also so surprised that my artwork was forwarded to Nashville, TN for national level. 

Several weeks after that, I didn’t get any notification about the national competition. I was sure that I didn’t make it. I felt so easy about that; winning state was always more than enough for me. Yet I felt a little bit curious who won the competition. I tried to access National Wild Turkey Federation Website to find the information. I read the article and started to scream. I GOT THE 1ST PLACE AT NATIONALS! My name was there with some students from all over the country. I felt so happy and grateful of my achievement. A week later they sent me a magazine and my artwork was published there! Now, the painting is exhibited in South Carolina for the entire year in NWTF Headquarter.



My artwork was published in NWTF Magazine
 
I think the sweetest moment of my “art adventure” was The Packer one. I made a drawing of Aaron Rodgers, the quarterback from The Green Bay Packers. It was for The Green Bay Packers Annual Art Contest: Pick Your Packer. All of the entrants’ artworks were exhibited in Lambeau Field Hall of Fame. I was at D.C. attending a conference for exchange students when my friends posted in my Facebook wall. My artwork was on TV! The news was about the exhibition, with the camera focusing on my art work for several seconds. When I got back to school my art teacher told me the same thing. It was kind of funny! Then I was notified that I didn’t win the contest. I felt so normal because there were tons of artists who did the contests – and the committee only chose one winner per age category. One day, my host mother received a call from a lady from Green Bay Packers. She said that there was a person who wanted to buy my artwork! I was so surprised that somebody noticed my artwork and decided to buy it. The person, who turned out to be a huge Packer fan, called me to discuss about the price. In 10 minutes the artwork was sold. In disbelief, I just never imagined that my artwork would go that far.



My artwork titled "Learning Football with Mr. Rodgers".

By the way, in the past month I did several artworks for some contests. I submitted my artworks for CSIET Cover Design Art Contest last week, Crayola National Art Contest, Negative Population Growth Art Poster Contest and Congressional Art Competition. I didn’t win for the Congressional Art Contest, but I was so happy to receive a certificate of congressional recognition for my artwork, signed by my district’s congressman, Tom Petri. For the other ones I just need to wait until the announcement came through mail or Email.

I am so grateful that I can grab those opportunities and gain a lot of achievements from my efforts. I am so glad that my family and school here really support me in doing those art contests. My big gratitude is for U.S. Department of State, which gives me this YES (Youth Exchange and Study) scholarship so I can be here now. Also for AFS, who placed me here in Chilton, Wisconsin. I have so much love and support from people around me, which I think is the main factor why I could gain so much. 




“Creativity means problem solving. With good critical thinking and communication, people of the world can collaborate to overcome problems, here symbolized as a big world puzzle. Helping each other, they finally can put the last piece to complete. Peace and harmony are something priceless we should protect."

 - Risqika Edni Doni Achsan

You Might Also Like

2 comments

leave your reply here

INSTAGRAM @DONIACHSAN